Campfire Hot Dogs and Crusty Bread
The Ye Olde Classic Camping Food! This is a very simple and great little camping recipe, with a sneaky trick for preparing the hot dogs. Simple, cheap, tasty and hardly creates any washing up. Works for us every time!
- Hot Dog Sausages
- Crusty Baguette
What you’ll need
- Metal Skewers
- Fire-proof cooking pot or pan
- The trick is pre-cook the sausages at home, so once you’ve got your campfire going, all you need to do is stick them on some metal skewers and brown them round the edges with the flames (rather than cook them all the way through)
- Once the sausages look flame-grilled, stick them in a piece of crusty bread with some ketchup and you’re good to go
- We aren’t exactly adventurous cookers when we’re camping, so we usually open a tin of beans if we fancy a side dish. Either cook them in a pot on the fire or heat them with a little gas stove
- For dessert, toast a few marshmallows on your metal skewers over the embers of the campfire before heading off to bed!
Recipe by The Outdoor Dad